Friday 5 May 2017

Use a Quote Challenge at A Vintage Journey

It's time for the May challenge over at AVJ and the fabulous Jenny Buttons is our challenge host.
Here is what Jenny has to say about the  "Use A Quote" challenge:
"Take a quote ! Any quote ! Whether it be on a stamp, a sticker, handwritten or sourced from the internet and make it the focal point of your vintage; shabby; mixed media; art journalling; industrial, timeworn or steampunk project."

This month our sponsor is That's Crafty, who are offering a gift voucher for their online store as our winner is randomly chosen everyone has their chance of winning. ( Click the banner below to view the store)


I chose the large Art Shrine House for my project, which you can see below.  
The Art Shrine House measures 6.16ins x 8.64ins x 2ins deep so gives lots of scope for decorating in the design of your choice. I decided to use a Knowledge Quote and therefore thought some kind of school theme would be suitable. (quote  from the internet and is computer generated)


The Art Shrine House is very easy to put together and I painted the inside in Decoart Vintage Effect Wash in Patina, giving it a couple of coats as it reminded me of the colour of paint that was on the walls when I was at a very victorian style  primary school in the  mid-1960's. Taking Tim Holtz  Bricked stencil I applied grunge paste using my palette knife.
Now satisfied with the colour I took a Ranger Ink Essentials Tag and cut it to make a blackboard, then matted on some green card stock from my stash. I used a white Posca Pen to apply the numbers on the black card as it gave the appearance of having used chalk.
To colour the brickwork I used Decoart Yellow Iron Oxide paint, then  Decorate Quinacridone Gold paint. Below you can see how adding the Quin Gold made the colour more like red brickwork. (left side has both colours and the right side has just the Yellow Iron Oxide) 
I then took my white signs pen in between the brick to make it look like grouting.
You can also view the  Spellbinder die cuts by Sue Wilson that were used for the roof. They were painted with Decoart Dazzling metallics in Rich Espresso then adhered with Cosmic Shimmer Glue.
I just love the  Zettiology Rubber Stamps grungy style kids by Tracy and Teesha Moore. The were stamped in Ranger Archival Jet Black Ink then coloured with a variation of Distress Ink Pens and Promarkers. I made a couple of bundles of books tied with string to sit in front of the kids.
A close up of the inside and you can see the layers crated for the roof.
A close up of the brickwork, which I think looks amazing in the Decoart paint tones. The white pen really made each brick pop too.  You can also view my little stash of books, tied with string.
More roof details and a little  metal embellishment  on the side saying "Skool's Out" This was covered in Decoart Paynes Grey and Quinacridone Gold.
And finally another close up of the finished piece. 


To view the fabulous array of projects by my fellow Creative Guides please click HERE



And remember you could win a wonderful gift voucher from That's Crafty, who have a vast array of great products within their online store, (selling many of the projects I have used above.) It's also worth  checking out their own MDF product range as I know you will be as amazed as I was. You also have the chance to be chosen as a Pinworthy by the Creative Guides with the opportunity to be a guest  Creative Guide on the AVJ blogLooking forward to viewing your entries 

Best wishes & Happy Crafting xx


post signature

19 comments:

  1. Wow, Annie! I can tell you had fun making this little school house! What amazing attention to detail--the roof is so cool and your bricks really look like the real thing! The tiny tied up books and the chalk board are such clever touches! This has got to be a new favorite of yours for me! Well done! Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a fantastic shrine, love everything about it. Hugs, Valerie

    ReplyDelete
  3. What an intriguing and inventive house shrine Annie. With my teaching background this pulls at my heartstrings with the addition of the blackboard and the fabulous class of children right down to their homework books tied together with string, so cute and clever. Great project and brilliant design xxx

    ReplyDelete
  4. How Fabulous is your little school Annie, the brickwork looks so real and the roof looks amazing to, very victorian feel about it. love the school children with heir books at their feet all tied up with string. this was something you obvious enjoyed doing too. TFS. Wonderful content for VJ. Hugs Rita xxx

    ReplyDelete
  5. Annie I LOVE your fabulous school shrine. Such a great idea that you have brought to life so well. So many well thought out touches - the colour of the walls (I worked in an old Vic school and yep the walls were this colour), the chalked up blackboard, the kids(each one unique and individual), the bound books (clever) and of course the 'Skools' out sign. A wonderful way of expressing your chosen quote .
    Now I can't get the Pink Floyd track out my head .. 'We don't need no education ....... lol
    hugs x

    ReplyDelete
  6. LOve your "schoolhouse" shrine Annie. The brickwork is quite stunning and those little books just so clever. Such a gorgeous piece. Jennie x

    ReplyDelete
  7. Brilliant idea - great quote and a wonderfully creative design to match it! The bricks and roof is just fab and love your skools out sign and little books! Magical xxx

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is so clever Annie. Love the schoolhouse theme and the quote is perfect for it. Hugs, Sandy

    ReplyDelete
  9. Annie, your schoolhouse is just brilliant!! So much attention to detail, the brickwork is amazing, I love the blackboard, the children are such fun and the quote is so perfect. Clever, inventive and truly fabulous Annie!! Hugs, Anne xx

    ReplyDelete
  10. Its a fantastic project, I think the classes in the school would be fun with those wonderful girls you added.
    Yvonne xx

    ReplyDelete
  11. what a wonderful 'skool' Annie! Beautiful brick front and blackboard interior! love your colorful and funky students and textured roof! Julia xx

    ReplyDelete
  12. Stunning creation with the That's Crafty! substrate, love the tip about the white grouting too....I shall remember that :)
    Hugs
    Donna xx

    ReplyDelete
  13. This is fabulous Annie, love your stenciled bricks (they look so real!) and the chalkboard in the background is fab, what a great idea. Love your 'students', great colouring on them all the little book bundles were the perfect addition. A great quote and a wonderful art shrine, thanks so much for sharing it, Deb xo

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh Annie I just adore your clever school house, - so out of the box and creative!!! Those Teesha girls are just perfect for it! The roof section looks brilliant and of course the quote has got to be one of my all time favourites and I love how you used it here with the key included.
    Hope you are enjoying some much needed sunshine and see you next week!!

    ReplyDelete
  15. The brickwork and that clever lace layered roof make the perfect place to study! Adding the chalkboard background is such a clever idea too Annie. Love it! xx

    ReplyDelete
  16. Annie, this is just so marvelous, fun and completely wonderful! Makes me want to watch a Jack Black movie and rock out! He he. Just love your awesome sense of creativity and whimsy. Big hugs, Autumn

    ReplyDelete
  17. Love this, Annie - I just feel that it's so full of ideas and stories! Cool brickwork, and delightfully quirky characters - and I love that layered roof - so clever!
    Alison x

    ReplyDelete
  18. Wonderful!! I really love how you did the roof!!!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Fabulous, great figures and just LOVE the roof...it's amazing. Ruth xx

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking time to visit my blog. I really do appreciate your comments and will always do my best to return them.

Annie x